Saturday 12 April 2014

Banana Macadamia Pancakes with Orange Butter

No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow. - Proverb



My littlest son, 8 yrs old, expecting pancakes, ran down the stairs bright and early to see which flavour was being made today.  "Banana, "I said.  "Yuck!" he said, "I hate banana pancakes."
Honestly, me too, I am not a fan of banana pancakes...but something about this recipe caught my eye...and I am very happy it did. These were a very big hit.  My eldest son and my husband declared these their new favourite pancakes.  They loved the addition of the macadamia nuts. And my littlest complainer, even ended up saying, "Yum! I love these! Can I have some more of the orange butter on top!"

For this beautiful spring day...I give you...

Banana Macadamia Pancakes with Orange Butter (from epicurious.com )
makes 15 4-inch pancakes

Ingredients
for the pancakes
1 1/2 cups flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
3 Tablespoons unsalted, butter melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe bananas
1/2 cup roasted macadamia nuts, chopped

for the orange butter
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
1/2 teaspoon fresh orange juice
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions
for the pancakes

1. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
3.Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
4. Mash banana and fold into batter along with nuts. (Batter will be very thick.)
5. Cook on a buttered (lightly oiled) skillet or flat top over medium heat.,using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.

for the orange butter
1. Stir together all orange butter ingredients in a small bowl until combined well.
2. Once combined, add to the top of warm pancakes and serve with maple syrup.

Enjoy! Happy Spring!

2 comments: