Saturday 29 March 2014

The Classic Pancake (with homemade syrup, too!)

Spring is when life is alive in everything. -Christina Rossetti


This is the second week of Yeah!  It is Spring! Pancake breakfast recipes ideas.  This one is really, really good.  It is just a simple classic, basic pancake recipe.  Nothing fancy...Just pure tasty!  These were so easy to make, and so delicious that I hope I inspire you to never buy a boxed pancake mix again! When I made these for my children and nieces and nephew, I knew they would enjoy them, but I had no idea they would LOVE them like they did.
Here is what my little critics had to say about this pancake recipe:

"Your pancakes made my stomach hurt.  I usually don't like pancakes, but these were so good that I ate too many and now I feel sick" - nephew, 8 years old.

"Wow! mom, these are really good!  What did you do different?" - son, 13 years old

"They are so light and fluffy!  These are so nice!"- daughter, 11 years old

"Mmmm...make these again!  How many can we have?" - son, 15 years old.

If you make these pancakes...I promise they will fly off the plate as soon as they are made...so I present to you...

The Classic Pancake (from allrecipes: Buttermilk Pancake )
(too good to be from a box)
Serves 4

 Ingredients:
3 cups flour
3 Tablespoons white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons salt
3 cups buttermilk*
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter melted

Directions:
1.  Pre-heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.
2.  In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
 
3.  In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook. (you will have fluffier pancakes if you allow your eggs and milk to come to room temperature.  Sometimes I just put my milk in the microwave for 20 sec. to take the chill out)

4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Do not over stir! Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
 *for an easy substitute for buttermilk: put one Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a one cup measure.  Fill the rest of the cup with regular milk.  Set aside for 5 minutes. Let the milk curdle.  There you go: 1 cup of Buttermilk.


Easy Homemade Syrup (from  the peaceful mom blog)

Ingredients
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter

 Directions
 1. Put the brown sugar, water and vanilla into a small saucepan.  Heat until it slowly comes to a boil.
2.  Add the butter. Stir until melted.
3. Serve warm or refrigerate for later.

Enjoy!!
 The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment