Saturday 8 February 2014

Sweet Potato Muffins

 What I say is, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow. - A.A.Milne


When I was growing up, I only remember sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, with marshmallows melted on top.  But, somehow I could never bring myself to eat this traditional food.  Something about melted marshmallows on vegetables never appealed to me...all I remember is my mom saying,"Just try it."  And me saying, "No, way!"

But the sweet potato is so versatile...It can do so much more than grace your holiday table adorned with marshmallows...Did you know that sweet potatoes are listed as one of the top super foods for health...containing important ingredients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Potassium and Magnesium (Sweet Potato Health Benefits Link)

I have made sweet potato muffins for years.  But this recipe, originally from Gwyneth Paltrow (with slight changes) has become my new favourite.  It is very moist and the flavour of the sweet potato shines through...  It is a perfect start to an icy, cold morning.  Even my little picky eaters quickly ate these up!  I hope you enjoy them, too!

Sweet Potato Muffins 
makes 12 muffins
Preheat oven to 400F

Ingredients
2 large sweet potatoes cooked, skinned and mashed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup almond milk ( I used coconut milk)
1/3 cup honey
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 Tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder

Directions
1.  Whisk olive oil, almond milk, honey, brown sugar, vanilla into the mashed sweet potatoes.

 2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, five-spice powder, and salt.
 3.  Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

4. Distribute the batter into a greased 12 cup muffin tin.

5. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  During the last five minutes, remove the muffins from the oven and brush the tops with maple syrup.

6. Enjoy!



 The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment