Wednesday 21 August 2013

To Be Loved (or An Unexpected Journey)

Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is. - William James



With four children in the car (two teens, one pre-teen, and one eight year old) and a 45 minute drive down country roads, I took an unexpected journey.  Don't get me wrong, I had planned an outing and I knew where I was going... but the trip getting there was unexpected...(and was also unexpectedly the most memorable part of the day).
I had a musical ride.  First it began with silence...then it was talking and laughter (that is my youngest son's addition)..then it moved into music.  My eldest three children brought their musical devices and took turns playing their favourite songs over the car's sound system for everyone to hear.  First my eldest son hooked up his device.  And with a simple push of the button we were off into the steady constant grooves of the Classics...Classic Rock I mean...Allman Brothers, Beatles, Cold Play... 
Then we entered into my daughter's world of girl as she skipped songs, repeated songs, and found her favourites...Taylor Swift, Pink, Adele...
Then, shyly, but happily, my second son attached his device. There was a pause, as if he was holding his breath...before he finally pressed play. Then, immediately we were off into a more high energy world of music...with bands such as Green Day and The Black Keys.  

As we listened to each of their music....It was as if they were all waiting at the side stage door...
Waiting to go out onto the stage...and to show who they were...

Can you see me? Do you think I am too silly?  Do you like who I am?  Do you think I am good?

Through laughter, smiles and silence I think they heard the answers they were searching for.

Yes, we see you
                  ... and we love what we see.

We are all searching for the same thing. Aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment