Friday 22 June 2012

RCMP Musical Ride

I believe the world needs more Canada. - Bono

Yes, I have mentioned that I am American-born...Canadian by marriage.  Alright, honestly, the first time I did cross the US-Canadian boarder at Niagara Falls,  I shouted out to my future husband,"Oh, my God!  People actually do live here!!"  And my American grandmother upon meeting my Canadian husband-to-be asked if he said the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag (of the United States of America) up in Canada, too...(and was shocked that he did not even know the words, wondering what do they teach up there).
  I am always eager to learn more about Canadian culture...and to teach my children more about the land of their birth....so when I saw a poster in our small local convenience store announcing the arrival of the Canadian Mounties to town, I was excited.
  The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) have been performing around the world...and across Canada....since 1887.  Their musical ride consists of a series of formations completed on horseback.  The origins of the formations date back to old British Calvary drills.  It was amazing to partake in a truly Canadian iconic experience. ( And  I could even sing all the words to Canada's National Anthem together with the rest of the crowd...see, I am learning)
My son trying to get a a bird's eye view of the Mounties

No comments:

Post a Comment