It is almost impossible to smile on the outside without feeling better on the inside. - Unknown
Homemade Granola Bars
(adapted from Better Food For Kids Cookbook, by Joanne Saab RD and Daina Kalnins, RD)
4 cups large flake rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/2 natural wheat bran
1 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc...)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup honey4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup corn syrup
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/ 4- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a microwave safe bowl, combine: Oats, coconut, bran, salt, dried fruit, sunflower seeds.
2. In a one cup measure, whisk together honey and oil. Pour over oat mixture; toss until well mixed.
3. Microwave on high for about 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes, until mixture is slightly browned.
4. In another medium size microwave safe bowl, combine syrup,sugar, and peanut butter. Microwave on high for two minutes or until mixture is just bubbling.
Add the microwaved sugar/peanut butter to oat mixture. Mix well.
6. Press into lightly greased pan.