Saturday 14 April 2012

Three Boys and some....

That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up.- Walt Disney

 My son and  his cousin, both six years old, had a friend over the other day.  I watched them playing in the front yard...climbing trees and playing tag...very happily.  I watched them through the window as I worked in the kitchen.  All of a sudden, they made a b-line for the door, and quickly shut it behind them.  Once inside they all just stared at me with a look of shock on their face.  Surprised, I asked them what had happened.  But the three, just starred without speaking...I looked out the window, and saw nothing...just a few hawks flying nearby.
 I asked in surprise, "You did not come inside because of the hawks, did you?"
With concern, all three looked at me.
Finally, my son spoke up and said,"but mom, they were circling us!"
I asked, "What do you think they will do to you?"
My son and his cousin, imitated with their hands, hawk claws, grabbing at their arms and said,"They could carry us away!"
 I told them, "No way!"
...and my nephew pipped up,"But there were three!"
Again, I reassured them and they were on their way...although a bit hesitantly.
One neat little fact about where we live, is that our lake is in the migratory path of various birds returning to their northern nesting grounds.  For the past month, our days have been filled with sightings of  a variety of ducks and hawks that we usually do not see the other parts of the year. So the boys had not been accustomed to seeing that many large hawks in the area.  (hmm...but maybe too many fairy tales for you three...)

No comments:

Post a Comment