Saturday 18 February 2012

A Song For You...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

When I grew up, my mom was always singing.  I did feel as if I lived in a musical. Everything was put to music...
As we walked down country paths....she would sing, "I love to go a wandering...If I complained about difficulties with my siblings she would begin singing, with a smile, a funny song about eating worms....
If it was raining, or if I was feeling sad, it would be, "the sun will come out...tomorrow..."  She really did love to sing... 
Now, I work with the elderly, as a music therapist.  I can not count how many times my clients have told me, "My mother use to sing all the time..."  And then they would continue asking if I sang to my children too...  I wonder how many people do sing to their children today?  I think it is becoming a lost art....
Music can really lift your spirit...and help difficult situations to not seem as grim.
I do not sing all the time to my children, but I do (and did)  try to sing lullabies to them in the evenings.  I wanted to share a song with you that I wrote for my littlest son.  My second son was the cameraman.  He used my little point and shoot camera...and even did all the editing...
You will also hear a knock on the door...that is my littlest son...(I just thought it was cute so I left it in)


So this song...is my first entry into my song blog...it will be dedicated to helping mothers find songs to sing to their young children....I put a link tab at the top of my page if you would like to view the entire blog( it is located next to the about me tab).  It is just a beginning...

2 comments:

  1. Charming, lovely lullaby. Good idea too, a song blog.

    My dad used to sing silly songs to the farm animals as he walked to the barn to do the milking. It was delightful to hear the dog bark back, the ducks quack in reply, and the chickens cluck in irritation. So I sing to my cat.....I used to sing a lot to my boys too, but not lullabies. More like your mom, in response to difficult situations such as if they did not want their diaper changed. I think I sang more to keep patience. Maybe this was the case for your mom?......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy my mom's songs...and yes, I am sure it was to help on the patience side as well...an added benefit. :)

      Delete